Toast to a Healthy Travel Year
1/13/2010 2:58:59 PM
Start your 2010 travels off right with these travel tips on the healthiest hotels and airports in the nation.
America’s Healthiest Airports Wonder what could be healthy about waiting around in airports? Well, top scorers won for comfortable, low stress environments, healthful dining options and clean bathrooms — and some interesting features, like the walking-and-biking trail through the airport grounds at Washington National and the world’s first airport terminal (Logan’s terminal A) certified by the U. S. Green Building Council.
Here are the top 10, rated by a panel of judges for Healthy Living magazine:
1. Phoenix Sky Harbor International
2. Baltimore/Washington International
3. O’Hare International (Chicago)
4. Detroit Metropolitan
5. Denver International
6. Washington National
7. Dallas/Fort Worth International
8. Logan International (Boston)
9. Portland International (Oregon)
10. Philadelphia International
To read more about each airport’s rating, visit health.com
Top 10 Healthiest Hotels
There’s comfort in basking in the ambiance of a gorgeous hotel while on a well-earned vacation and knowing you’ll be healthier for it. When looking to book your next getaway, be sure to check out the hotels below for a healthier vacation home away from home.
Here are the country’s top 10 healthiest hotels, according to Health magazine.
1. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts has stress-relief options that include taking the hotel’s dog out for a walk and a hand massage for BlackBerry hands.
2. Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts offers state-of-the art fitness facilities, top-rated spas and, in some of its hotels, organic fruits, multi-grain pancakes and an emphasis on local produce.
3. Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants use nontoxic cleaning products, has on-site workout facilities at all locations, and offers on-demand yoga supplies, meditation TV channels and Pilates workouts in some rooms. Planners can take advantage of the hotels’ “outside the box” approach by starting off the day with group yoga sessions.
4. Hilton Hotels and Resorts have an “Eat Right” menu that features high-energy, high-fiber, low-fat offerings. At the Hilton Chicago O’Hare, 13 enviro-rooms have hardwood floors, wooden shutters, air purifiers and chemical-free personal products.
5. Hyatt Regency has a “StayRight Hyatt” program with on-demand yoga videos and other routines catering to fitness-conscious guests, including a fitness concierge. Its “StayFit Cuisine” option compliments the workouts.
6. The Ritz-Carlton has signature spas known for their tranquil surroundings and well-trained massage therapists, as well as a variety of healthy outdoor activities such as snowshoe hikes at colder properties and tennis tournaments.
7. Westin Hotels & Resorts got high marks for its in-room treadmills and stationary bikes as well as in-room fitness libraries (DVDs and magazines). Its state-of-the-art gyms offer Westin Wii consoles and new superfoods menu (green tea-infused salmon, anyone?).
8. Cambria Suites stocks rooms with organic tea, has a menu free of deep-fried food, and a 2,500-sq.-ft. fitness-and-pool center at each property featuring natural light and views.
9. Loews Hotels won accolades for their fitness menu, which at some locations feature belly dancing, kid’s yoga, and jogging or walking maps highlighting local attractions.
10. The Peninsula Hotels chain was sited for its “fantastic “ pools and its spas, which offer Thai-inspired massage, earned a perfect 10.
Featured Trip Tips Article