St. Andrews is genteel Loyalist values at their finest. The order, scale and ambiance of St. Andrews reflects the practical, resourcefulness of these loyal subjects. It was for this reason that this rustic seaport became the summer residence of choice for the wealthy and powerful, including Sir Samuel Leonard Tilly, Sir James Dunn, Sir William Van Horne and C.D. Howe.
Today, St. Andrews represents one of the best preserved examples of colonial heritage in North America. While maintaining it's charm, St. Andrews is also a dynamic, prosperous community. Small town values and friendly neighbours mix easily with a spirited business environment. For the residents of St. Andrews, life is indeed charmed.
The St. Andrews Health Centre has three physicians, two dentists, a physiotherapist and a dietitian who provide service to the greater St. Andrews area. Passamaquoddy Lodge is a 60-bed nursing facility located within town limits. Fundraising is well underway at the Lodge with the goal of adding a 24 bed state-of-the-art Dementia Unit within the next three years. General hospital service is available in our neighbouring town - St. Stephen, just 20 minutes west of St. Andrews. All regional and most province-wide health-care services are centred in New Brunswick's largest hospital, the Saint John regional Hospital, only one hour east in Saint John.
St. Andrews has a full time ambulance service. Both full time and volunteer personnel staff the St. Andrews Fire Department. Three constables of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police serve St. Andrews directly, and the larger force is centered at its detachment in St. George.
The Blockhouse in St. Andrews is the sole survivor of twelve such structures which were erected as coastal defences during the War of 1812 - 14 between Britain and the United States. It is one of Canada's 70 major National Historic Sites. Partially destroyed by fire in 1993, it has been carefully restored and looks much the same as it did in the early 19th century. Interpretive displays explain the role and construction of the Blockhouse and guides are on hand daily throughout the tourist season for further assistance.
Sheriff Andrews House is a beautiful example of neo-classical architecture built in 1820. Now a public museum, the house consists of finely detailed rooms displaying period furniture drawn from the provincial collection. This Provincial Historic Site is open daily (in season) to the public and costumed guides provide tours and interpret early 19th century open hearth cooking techniques.
Ministers Island is a short drive across the ocean floor (at low tide) from St. Andrews and was purchased by Canada's visionary railway builder Sir William Van Horne in 1890. Wealthy after constructing a railway from sea to sea, Van Horne not only built the barn and his 50-room home, but greenhouses, a windmill, and tennis courts as well. Today, Ministers Island is a protected Provincial Historic Site and visitors can enjoy guided tours during the season.